You can relax knowing your lawn is well cared for, let us handle your last lawn treatment of the season! 218-727-3040 #DesignBuildMaintain
The Perfect Playground For Your Backyard
Oh to be a kid again — spending countless hours running and playing in the backyard. Many parents dream of giving their kids the perfect playground set so they can swing, slide, and climb all day.
But before you jump headfirst into buying and installing your children’s playground, there are a few things you need to know.
Choose the perfect spot
We can’t stress this enough. It is very important to find the right location in your yard to install a playground. Somethings to consider:
- Pick a flat site: If you build even on a slight slope you risk unstable equipment that can lead to injuries.
- Measure: The last thing you’ll want is to start building the playground and find out you ran out of room. You also need to consider if you’ll need extra space in your yard for future additions such as a pool, outdoor kitchen, patio, or fire pit.
- Beware of hazards: Make sure your kid’s playground won’t come in contact with power lines or low-hanging branches. You also don’t want to build too close to a fence or other objects that can interfere with kids swinging and hurting themselves. Accidents can (and let’s face it, probably will) happen, but you can do your best to avoid them!
Pick of ground covering
Once you have chosen the perfect spot to assemble your playground, you’ll want to choose a ground covering. Not only do you want to choose a material that is safe for the kids, but you’ll also want to take in account the amount of maintenance you are willing to put in over the years and how much you want to spend. Some options are:
- Grass: Always a smart option as grass is attractive, looks natural, and if you already have grass in your yard, is virtually free. However, grass can be hard to maintain as the children are running on it over and over, and you’ll need to mow and water is appropriately.
- Sand: One of the most popular ground covers for a playground. It’s affordable and it provides a cushion for the kids. But, it can be hard to maintain over time.
- Pea Gravel: This affordable option looks great and is low-maintenance. Its downfall is that it’s not always the best feeling for the kids while they are running through it.
- Wood Chips: This option looks great as it can come in so many different colors to compliment the playground and your house. Wood chips naturally decay and will need to be replaced eventually. Also, if they are not properly packed down, bad weather can wipe them away and spread them across your property
Don’t forget about the border
Now that you know where you are going to place your playground and what ground cover is best you’ll need to create a border around the playground to establish the designated area for play. A good border will help create a weed barrier, keep the ground covering of choice in its designated area, enhance the look of your playground space, and also help blend the rest of your outdoor living space seamlessly.
Let the experts at Miller Creek Lawn & Landscape help you prepare your yard
If this all sounds overwhelming, and you need a helping hand, give us a call and we can help ensure that you choose the perfect spot for your playground. We can also help prepare the area you want to build on. Contact us today!